I’m here today with a whimsical cards – a Unicorn Card! If you love Instagram like I do – you have seen the beautiful unicorn trend come to life – in crafts, clothing and even cakes. I decided to take create a unicorn with felt and it came out super fun and was very easy to create.
Here is my supplies list for my “Unicorn Card”:
- 9” x 12” craft cuts:
- Kunin Classicfelt in White (for “Unicorn face” and “ears”)
- Kunin Classicfelt in Violet Sky (for “flower crown”)
- Kunin Classicfelt in Yellow (for “flower crown”)
- Kunin Classicfelt in Candy Pink (for “flower crown” and “ears”)
- Kunin Classicfelt in Black (for “eyelashes”)
- Metallic (I used gold) card stock (for “horn”)
- Felt was cut with these Sizzix XL Dies:
- Flower Layers & Leaves, # (for the horn and ears)
- Shell, #A10177 (for the face)
- Labels & Buttons by Eileen Hull Designs, #657723 (for the flowers)
- Fast Grab Aleene’s Tacky Glue or Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Foam dot adhesives
- Kraft card (you can be a pack of these cards at Michaels)
- Sparkling gems (for center of flowers)
First you need to cut your felt pieces, here are the pieces you need:
- For the Unicorn Face/background: Cut your WHITE felt using the SHELL die.
- For the crown flowers: Cut your VIOLENT SKY, YELLOW and CANDY PINK felt using the LABELS & BUTTONS die.
- To cut your felt pieces, lay them on the large Sizzix XL die. You can cut up to 3 pieces of felt at a time.
- Option: If you do not have a die cutting machine – you can cut these by hand and they will look just at beautiful!
- For the eyelashes: Cut your BLACK felt using a pair of short/fabric scissors. You will need to cut these by hand, be creative and make eyelashes that are really fun and funky.
- For the horn: Cut your METALLIC paper using the FLOWER LAYERS & LEAVES die, I cut the leaves in the 2 different sizes and used the larger leaves as the base of the horn.
- For the ears: Cut your WHITE felt using the FLOWER LAYERS & LEAVES die, I cut the ears using the small leaves. Cut a piece of CANDY PINK in the size of a large tear drop to fit inside the white felt.
Adhere the felt pieces to the card using Fast Grab Tacky Glue or hot glue, I recommend this order:
- Apply hot glue to card and lay down the white felt (Shell) piece, you will need to cut off the bottom portion of the shell. TIP: I saved that cut until AFTER I had hot glued it to the card, I was able to trim it further once I was finished too!
- Add the metallic die cuts to make the unicorn horn. Use foam dots to build the horn so it is 3D.
- Add your eyelashes, I glued the eyelashes on with Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue.
- Add your ears and be sure to leave room for your flower crown. I hot glued the ears and inside of the ears too.
- Next, hot glue your gems to your flowers, then add your flowers to the card with hot glue. I made 2 flowers of each color and for the purple felt – I stacked them using hot glue.
- You could further embellish the crown and also try to make the horn with felt! There are a lot of fun options for this card, I hope you will have as much such as I did.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
This card was really fun to make and it will be even more fun to share with a special friend! I hope you are enjoying the change of weather this week, as we enter the big “Crafting Seasons” of Fall and Winter. Thank you for sharing part of your day with me on the Kunin Blog.
Owner of Mothership Scrapbook Gal
Founder of Crafty Happy Hour
You are invited to my studio in Fresno, California – stop by my studio, it is located at 1419 M Street in Downtown Fresno. It is open every month on First Thursday (5 pm – 8 pm) and Second Saturday (Noon to 4 pm). If you have family or friends in the area, please spread the word about my studio, we love new crafty friends!