Welcome back to the Kunin Felt Classroom! I am so excited this week for several reasons; it is (inter) National Craft Month, I spent an evening sharing crafting with an awesome group of ladies who volunteer their time to make a difference, my local IODE chapter AND I am introducing some of our new KUNIN colors, Ocean Blue, Lemon Frost, Peach Chiffon and Minty Green in this spring wreath!
You will need:
- 9″ x 12” craft cuts Kunin Classicfelt™: 2 Ocean Blue, 3 Lemon Frost, 2 Peach Chiffon, ! Minty Green, 1 Olive http://kuninfelt.com/fabrics-collection
- 12” x 18” craft cut Kunin Premiumfelt™: 2 White
- Fabri-tac and or Felt Glue by Beacon www.beaconadhesives.com
- Flower and Leaf Dies by Eileen Hull for Sizzix www.sizzix.com
- Bunny Die by Sizzix
- 9” Cardboard plate by Chinet
- Half Pearls, self adhesive
- Scissors, ruler, pins, pencil, Big Shot and cutting pads
TIP: As I was teaching this to a group and providing the supplies I was looking for an inexpensive wreath base. The Chinet brand plate is a heavy enough weight to use as a wreath form as long as you cut outside of the second inner rim line.
1. Making the Wreath form: Cut out the inner circle from the 9” plate leaving a 1 ¼” outer ring. Cut five 1” strips lengthwise from a piece of white. Begin at back of wreath angling one end of a white strip. Glue and begin wrapping wreath form. Add pieces as needed to cover wreath form, glue. Trim off excess.
2. Die cut flowers from the blue, peach and lemon. Die cut two bunnies, one each from the white and yellow. Die cut leaves from olive and mint.
TIP: When running die through Big Shot roll it backwards to go over the cutting surface twice before removing from Big Shot.
3. Begin assembling flowers by gluing one piece on top of another in ascending order, largest to smallest. Repeat for all die cut flowers.
4. Ruffled Flower: From blue felt cut two pieces 2 ½” by 12”. Fold in half lengthwise. Cut slits in length of piece from fold to ¼” from outside edge of strip. Begin rolling strip to the end, glue. Repeat for second flower.
5. Glue two bunny pieces together. Cut a 3/4” by 4” piece of blue felt. Fringe and roll into cylinder, glue. Glue cylinder to neck of bunny, spread out fringe. Cut a ¼” by 2” piece of peach, roll into cylinder, glue into center of flower. Add pearl and leaves.
6. Refer to finished photo and arrange flowers, leaves on wreath base. Once you have “auditioned” your arrangement, glue pieces in place. Glue in bunny or pin in place if you want to use wreath without bunny as well.
7. Cut two pieces from peach 1 ½” by 12”. Cut 2” off one piece. Fold loop in half, place around wreath, glue ends together. Fold second piece in half, overlap and glue ends. Pinch center and wrap 2” piece around center, glue. Glue bow to top of loop. Glue half pearls in place.
TIP: You can also use ribbon instead of felt to cover wreath. If your plate has a design like mine use a ribbon heavy enough to cover design.
The group of ladies I taught really enjoyed making their wreaths. I had other colors of felt available and ribbon so they could personalize their wreath to co-ordinate with their own décor.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Thank you for stopping by the Kunin Classroom!