I have always been inspired by nature and especially flowers. The shapes and colors really get my creative juices flowing. So, I created these recycled flower baskets for Earth Day.
I am also really into recycling, reducing, and reusing. So, I keep all types of containers for use in later projects. I was washing out a couple of yogurt containers the other day and thought that they were the perfect size for candy dishes. So, I began cutting out pedal shapes and gluing them to the side of the yogurt dish to create these adorable flowers.
What is Eco-fi? Eco-fi is a high-quality fiber made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles that is used to make Kunin Eco-fi Felt. Learn more about the process HERE.
Now onto my project!
- Kunin Eco-fi® Classicfelt™ Craft Cuts 9’ x 12” in Orchid, Violet Sky, Bright Lilac, Olive, Baby Pink, Candy Pink and Fuchsia
- Ad-Teach Low Temp Glue Gun and Low Temp Glue Sticks.
- Recycled Yogurt Cups; Scissors; Aquarellable Pencil by Stabilo in black and white; plain paper; ruler and pencil
1. Wash and thoroughly dry your recycle plastic containers. Download and print the pedal pattern HERE. With your Aquarellable pencil trace eight small petals on Bright Lilac felt. Trace eight large petals on the Violet Sky felt. Trace eight large petals on the Orchid felt. Trace two large panels +1 inch at the bottom on to Olive felt. Measure a 1 inch wide by 12 inch long rectangle on Olive felt.
2. Cut out all 24 petals just inside the traced lines. Fold each petal and a half lengthwise and cut in 1/2 inch along the fold. Cut out the Olive felt leaves and rectangle.
3. Glue the small Bright Lilac felt petals along the top edge of your recycle container overlapping slightly with a low temp glue gun and low temp glue sticks, as to not melt the plastic container. Repeat with the large Violet Sky felt petals, gluing around the center, spreading the bottom of the pedal apart to form around the container. Repeat with the large Orchid felt petals.
4. Glue 1″ x 12″ rectangle around the very bottom, covering the last row of petals and the bottom of the container. Fold the felt to create a smooth, tight fit. Attach the two leaves to the base of the container.
5. Repeat was second container using Baby Pink, Candy Pink and Fuchsia felt to create the perfect pink flower basket to accompany your purple flower basket.
Fill with your favorite candy and enjoy!
These recycled flower candy dishes for Earth Day are quick and easy to make in less than one hour with your kids. They would make the perfect gift for a teacher, neighbor or even for Mother’s Day. Great group or classroom activity for Earth Day!
There is A LOT of Earth Day fun going on all month here on the Kunin blog! All of the details and a chance to win $250 in PRIZES are listed in this BLOG POST.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Check out the Kunin Facebook for more EARTH DAY inspiration!
Thanks for stopping by! -Beth